Torshear EmS is a versatile and fully automatic ring shear testing machine that benefits from the new low maintenance, efficient and environmentally-friendly Electromechanical Servoactuation (EmS) technology.
Ring shear test description
The test provides a procedure for performing a torsional ring shear test under a drained condition to determine the fully softened shear strength and nonlinear strength envelope of cohesive soils.
The fully softened strength is used to evaluate the stability of slopes that do not have a pre-existing shear surface. The fully softened shear strength also corresponds to the peak shear strength of a normally consolidated specimen. This test method focuses on the use of a reconstituted specimen to measure the fully softened strength.
This test is performed by shearing a normally consolidated, reconstituted specimen at a controlled displacement rate until the peak shear resistance has been obtained.
The TORSHEAR EmS can complete the whole test from consolidation to shear stage automatically; selecting the load (stress) for consolidation and a pre-defined shear speed for shearing stage offering a practical and accurate way to obtain reliable results without any need for manual intervention, reducing the risk of human error.
Complete stand-alone system
Total control of a single unit, including full test execution is achieved without the need of a PC. The user interface is based on a large 6” touchscreen color display permitting to start, pause and stop the test, choose the data recording mode, show the readings during the test execution and carry out the transducers calibration.
It comes supplied with a USB pen drive allowing unlimited storage, TXT format data output.
Totally new and ingenious software (optional)
- Allows the remote control, from a single PC, of multiple Torshear Ems machines. When the Remote Control mode is used, the PC software becomes the user interface and manages the main functions as well as the channels calibration by linear, polynomial and multi-coefficient curves.
- Can pilot up to six Torshear EmS units from one single PC with user able to select single or multiple unit batches.
- Once the software is installed and linked to the first TORSHEAR EmS, it is easy to add more units by enabling the associated LAN communication (IP address) without complications or extra costs.
- Calibrations of displacement transducers and load cells are stored as txt file and easy to recall, up to 10 calibration points can be recorded for each channel.
Clarity in results
- Test results are saved and displayed in real-time, speeding data capture.
- Results are then processed using Wykeham Farrance (WF)’s easy-to-use Geo-Analysis templates, written by experts around international standards allowing you to concentrate on analyzing your materials; not on programing your testing machine.
Stainless steel shear boxes
40 cm2 stainless steel ring shear box fitted with easily removable sintered porous stone.
Ensuring complete application of torsional force
Sintered porous stone with special pattern design guarantees torsional shear force application.